What is Health Coaching?
At Take Care Coaching, one of the first questions we ask new clients is, “what experience do you have with coaching?” It’s important to set expectations from the start of a coaching relationship as well as define our role as your coach and your role as client. Many people think coaches are like drill sergeants and should be super strict with clients to keep them motivated. This is not what coaching is about at all. If someone told you what to do and gave you a strict set of rules, would you follow them? Most likely not. No one likes being told what to do.
Health Coaching, on the other hand, is helping people reach their best through a collaborative process. It involves coaching psychology which is the relational vehicle for implementing positive psychology, a field focused on the study of happiness and wellbeing.
At Take Care Coaching, you as the client are 100% responsible for your health. You know your body best. As your coach, Take Care Coaching is here to work with you to figure out your goals, strategies to meet them and any obstacles that may be in your way. We will be here to cheer you on and motivate you to keep reaching to become your best self!
Take Care Coaching can help you meet your goals by:
· Accepting and meeting you where you are today
· Asking you to take charge of your health
· Guiding you to do lots of mindful and confidence building work
· Helping you develop a higher purpose for wellness and uncover your natural impulse to be well
· Helping you draw a personal wellness vision of where you want to be
· Helping you set realistic goals
· Harnessing the strengths you need to overcome your obstacles
· Helping you view obstacles as opportunities to learn and grow
· Helping you build a support team
· Inspiring and challenging you to go beyond what you would do alone
So what would you like to work on? What does peak wellness look like for you? If it means:
· Being at your ideal weight
· Being fit and strong
· Eating healthy
· Having high energy and robust health
· Feeling calm and balanced under stress
· Sleeping well
· Having a more positive and optimistic state of mind
· Feeling fully engaged and satisfied with your life
Take Care Coaching can help you in all of these areas. Contact us to schedule an appointment!
For additional resources on health coaching check out:
· Butterworth, S., Linden, A., & McClay, W. (20076). Health coaching as an intervention in health management programs. Disease Management & Health Outcomes, Vol. 15, Issue 5, p. 299-307. https://link.springer.com/article/10.2165/00115677-200715050-00004
· Sadick, B. (2016). Trying to break unhealthy habits? There’s coach for that. The Wall Street Journal. https://www.wsj.com/articles/trying-to-break-unhealthy-habits-theres-a-coach-for-that-1474855261
· WellCoaches (2017). WellCoaches Research. WellCoaches School of Coaching: http://wellcoachesschool.com/research-and-resources/wellcoaches-research/
· Wolever, R. et al. (2016). Advancing a new evidence-based professional in health care: job task analysis for health and wellness coaches. BMC Health Services Research 16:205 DOI 10.1186/s12913-016-1465-8 http://ichwc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/JTA.pdf